Since my blog post in November about skin care mistakes that men commonly make, I have heard increasing feedback about cosmetic concerns that are trending with males. I do think that in this area of self-care, many people underestimate the needs and wants of men.
After all, men are socialized from an early age to show indifference to their cosmetic imperfections. However, recent consumer data have shown that males do indeed care about their appearance, especially with reference to the changes that occur with aging.
Although still a significant minority of the aesthetic market, men are a rapidly growing segment. More men nowadays are seeking procedures that will decrease their dissatisfaction with what they see in the mirror as they age.
While women are very forthright and empowered about their wishes to make changes in their appearances, men are often silent about their embarrassment with their looks. Many guys feel that if they talk about these feelings, other males will be perceive them as less “manly” among other things.
Males are generally low maintenance in their aesthetic needs when they are young. As they get older, though, the years of low or no maintenance, especially the years of not using sunscreen, come back to haunt them.
At Maine Laser Skin Care, I see first hand more and more men stepping forward to take better care of themselves and request information about procedures that will help them improve their appearance. Some of the most popular treatments among men include:
- Hair Removal: Lots of men who sign up for chest and back hair laser treatments have been embarrassed for years since puberty with what they see as an unsightly problem. They have shaved and even waxed that stubborn hair. When they want a more permanent solution to at least thin out the hair, they come to see us. Hair removal along the neckline in the front and back of the neck is also getting more popular to decrease irritation from shirt collars and shaving.
- Age Spots: Many men who have not used sunscreen for years begin to see the dark spots of sun damage and want them removed.
- Botox: Men are becoming less comfortable with scowl lines and crow’s feet around the eyes.
- Rosacea, or Facial Redness: Men tend to have a higher incidence of rosacea than women. They generally come in for laser treatments when they get tired of people making comments about their facial redness. Laser is highly effective, and men are reportedly very satisfied with the results.
- Vampire Hair Regrowth: Since I have introduced the technique of drawing blood, centrifuging to produce platelet-rich plasma, and re-injecting it into the scalp, I have had an explosion of interest. Some men are finding out by word-of-mouth, but many are also discovering us through Internet searches. I have had very satisfying results, and men are thrilled to have their hair back where it should be!
- Fat Removal: The new Kybella injection for double chin fat has also seen a great deal of male interest. I anticipate that interest will continue to grow as more information about this procedure gets out into the male-oriented media.
Believe it or not, men do care about their appearance and their attractiveness to others. They want to be perceived as young, energetic and still operating at the top of their game, even if they won’t always admit it.
Studies have shown that when both men and women have cosmetic procedures, especially for conditions that they feel decrease their attractiveness, their mood improves, the chances of them developing depression and anxiety decreases, and, as one might expect, their confidence increases. So men, step forward and let’s make a plan to deal with the things about your appearance that bother you.
Call us at (207) 873-2158 to set up your free consultation. I will confidentially assess your concerns and let you know your options in a clear and open manner. See you then!