Despite the fact that Botox has been approved for medical and cosmetic use since the early 2000s, and I have been personally injecting patients with this remarkable medication since 2004, there are many people who hesitate to have a Botox treatment. Their hesitation usually results from the misconceptions and myths about Botox that they hear frequently.
It is true that Botox used to be the treatment of the Hollywood elite, but that’s the past. Botox is now used by everyday citizens, even in central Maine, who want to look better and feel younger while still looking natural.
This past week, I had an influx of consultations for those new to Botox. Once reassured, a very high percentage of those who wanted consults on the topic of Botox or wrinkles proceeded to get a treatment then and there, or scheduled an appointment in the near future.
I would to share with you some of the answers to the questions asked during these introductory visits. Hopefully this information will help you understand Botox better and help you make the decision if you are still considering whether this treatment is right for you.
- Injection discomfort is minor. The Botox injection itself is most commonly described as a small and very brief sharp pinch. A topical numbing cream can minimize any discomfort even further if needed. Most people are relieved that any discomfort they may experience is ultimately much less than they expected.
- Botox injections are quick. Once we determine the location of the treated area, the injections themselves are actually quite brief and may take only 5 to 10 minutes from beginning to end. Many people who work in our local area come to the Maine Laser Skin Care office at lunchtime, receive their Botox, and then return to work.
- Most people experience little to no side effects. In surveys, 75% of Botox users report no side effects at all. Those who experience any side effects rate them as minor. Mild bruising at the site of injection or slight soreness after the injection are the most common.
- Botox is less expensive than most people think. The cost of Botox depends on how much is used and can vary with the amount needed for different locations on the face or body. However, I tend to be conservative in terms of the amounts of Botox especially for first timers. Also, Allergan, the manufacturers of Botox, has a program called Brilliant Distinctions, which is basically a “frequent flyer” type program that gives you discounts on future treatments based on how much you have used. There are also promotional sales from time to time to reduce the price of Botox. For example, from now until the end of March 2017, Allergan is offering $50 off the price of your next Botox treatment, and then another $50 off another Botox treatment that you receive up to 90 days afterward.
- You will still look like yourself, only better. Many people fear that they will look frozen when they want to continue to look natural. Botox will not significantly or radically change your appearance. It will give you a more relaxed and less tired look. You will look less angry and more like a youthful version of yourself. With the conservative doses of Botox I use, you will look like you did 5 or 10 years ago.
- Botox will continue to deliver results if you maintain it. After the first set of injections, you will see the best results for up to 3 months. If you continue to have Botox after the results wear off, the results will generally last longer and longer each time. For people who keep up the process over several years, Botox will frequently last 6 months or longer.
- You will see results quickly. After the injections are done, results start to be seen within 3 to 4 days. During this time period, the injected muscles are starting to relax and become harder to move to form wrinkles. Full effects are seen usually within 1 or 2 weeks, and then will continue out to the 3-month mark.
- You will be joining a big crowd that continues to grow every year. Maine Laser Skin Care is one of the busiest providers of Botox in Maine, and has one of highest growth rates of Botox use in the country, let alone New England. Many people are shocked to find out that central Maine is a hotbed of people who use Botox, but it is true. In fact, the growth of Botox use continues to increase by double digits every year.
I hope that this information helps you to make your decision if you are one of those who remain on the fence about Botox. Over my past 12 years of Botox experience, I continue to be impressed by how safe this treatment is and with remarkably high patient satisfaction rates.
If you like to discuss Botox with me personally, call me at (207) 873-2158 to schedule a free and confidential consultation. I would love to introduce you to this very satisfying way to look like a younger version of yourself with minimal discomfort and expense.